[sf-lug] Is the apt install jitsi-meet command to install a server

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Sat Jun 27 04:59:03 PDT 2020

If one has reasonably suitable browser (e.g. non-ancient Firefox,
Chromium, Chrome, ... but not lynx (text only)), that's all one needs
to partake in meetings held via jitsi.  No need to install, download,
or run, any additional software or plugins or the like.  One can even
be host/moderator of jitsi meetings with only that.
One can also generally dialin to jitsi meetings, if one doesn't have
suitable computer microphone setup (or doesn't have that working with
browser).  Ditto for audio output.  In fact don't need computer or
"smart" phone at all if one only wants/needs audio, as dialin can be
used.  Don't need camera unless one wants to participate showing such
video.

Server is a different question.
Ask the question to which one wants the answer.  ;-)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Client%E2%80%93server_model
So, browser is client, web server is server.

As for jitsi, if you want to set up jitsi server, you'll generally need:
o Internet addressable static IP address(es) (at least IPv4, preferably
   also IPv6)
o to create applicable DNS entry(/ies) for your jitsi server
o will likely need TLS(/"SSL") CA cert(s)
o the jitsi server software (install and configure, possibly first
   configuring and building/compiling) and suitable operating system and
   host to run it on (including ample resources)
o for phone dialin (and possibly also dialout), one will generally
   need a SIP provider for PTSN<-->SIP<-->jitsi connectivity
o one will need adequate bandwidth - particularly for upload (though one
   can disable video on all or many, and/or force reduction in video
   quality, to reduce needed bandwidth)
o I'd think the jitsi server software/package(s) have ample
   documentation regarding server requirements and recommendations - may
   be a fair bit more than just what I outlined above.