[sf-lug] (forw) Re: [Felton LUG] Jitsi Meet: A Free & Open Source Video Conferencing Solution

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jun 26 13:07:58 PDT 2020

Quoting alexkleider (alexkleider at protonmail.com):

> Thanks, Rick, for sharing this.
>
> I have one question/request for clarification:
> Is the apt install jitsi-meet command to install a server (rather than a client?)

To clarify:

(1) I was referring to the process of constructing the _server_ end, if
one decides to self-host one's own instance of Jitsi Meet for one's
own use, or for any organisation (such as a LUG), for one's family, etc.

(2) No special client software exists or is required:  Any Web browser
that supports the IETF WebRTC videoconfererncing protocols is all you
need, to interact with conference rooms on a Jitsi Meet server.  (Jitsi
Meet also supports call-in from voice telephone calls simultaneously
with users connecting from Web browsers.)  The Web browser with the best
WebRTC support is Chromium (and its proprietary variant, Google Chrome).
Some users have good enough luck with recent Firefox releases, but
Chromium is generally recommended, for least likelihood of problems.

(3) There is no distro package named 'jitsi-meet' as far as I'm aware.
I merely meant that no simple 'just install a distro package'
installation method exists.  The process of getting the server end of
Jitsi Meet going requires, instead, some manual configuration of a
number of pieces of software.  Thus the existence of a number of HOWTO
guides, on the Web.

(The name 'jitsi-meet' was a placeholder for 'whatever a distro package
for Jitsi Meet would be called if it existed'.)