[sf-lug] sf-lug: List: stats, etc.

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Jun 3 23:48:57 PDT 2020

Quoting alexkleider (alexkleider at protonmail.com):

[crossover ethernet cable:]

> Would you need one today if you wanted to connect one laptop to
> another directly with an ethernet cable?  That's the scenario I
> remember at the cafe that preceded 'Enchante'. It might have been as
> far back as 2005.

No, all ethernet ports on commodity hardware have been autoswitching
(auto MDI-X) for, dunno, maybe a decade.  (Wikipedia says HP engineers
invented that in 2001-2.)

I do still keep a crossover cable around, just in case.  It has
distinctive cable colouring (IIRC), and -- more to the point, has
'CROSSOVER' written in sharpie on cable near each end.

For those of us who have RJ-45 crimping tools (as I do), they're easy to
make by just using T568A pinout configuration on one end and T568B on
the other (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TIA/EIA-568#Wiring).