[sf-lug] Updating grub boot loader

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Sat May 30 22:58:21 PDT 2020

Likely to better stick with (mostly) editing the /etc/default/grub file.
What Operating System (OS)?  Particular conventions and behaviors may
vary by distro and version.
And what version of GRUB?  Sounds like "2.x" series,
but what exactly is the distro's grub[2] package version?

Sure, you can manipulate GRUB config stuff at lower levels ...
but the further down you go, the more likely that is to get clobbered
with subsequent routine updates to the OS or kernel thereof.

Your changes are more likely to be preserved if it's a configuration
file your OS is generally more likely to use, honor and respect,
rather than overwrite from scratch or the like, as part of its typical
update operations.