[sf-lug] problem with the longer messages resolved ... do they not reach the main list they do not reach the test list ...

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Apr 25 18:36:00 PDT 2020

Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):

> Yes they were.  The final change was taking out the live url for
> Distrowatch.com.

Interesting.  (Albeit, I'm not really sure what 'live URL' means in this
context, and how it differs from any other URL.)

FWIW, linuxmafia.com's SMTP software (Exim4) and mailing list software
(GNU Mailman) has no heuristics that make it refuse or discard arriving
mail on account of URLs in the body text _per se_ -- except for some
antispam heuristics applied by SpamAssassin (spamd) in measuring the
arriving mail's 'spamicity' prior to Exim4 accepting or rejecting
delivery.

However, note that, whenever linuxmafia.com rejects a piece of arriving
SMTP mail on grounds of high estimated spamicity, that event and the
reasoning behind it get logged in /var/log/exim4/rejectlog .  Which is
of course one of the places I looked when you kindly provided me
timestamps of 'lost' mail.  (And there was no sign there or in the other
Exim4 logs of any attempt at delivery.)

> so i don't know what is going on but I have another data point there
> for the DSLExtreme Tech support
> when they finally get back to me.

I'm sure you're on top of this, but FWIW I hope/expect you did the same
thing with them as you did with me, providing specific examples of
'lost' mails you tried to send outbound from DSLExtreme, including exact
timestamps and other header data.