[sf-lug] problem with the longer messages resolved ... do they not reach the main list they do not reach the test list ...

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Apr 25 12:00:05 PDT 2020

Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):

>     I don't think that will be needed.

Well, if you want to ask for a favour again, you know how to find me.

Let's be clear:  This _is_ you asking for a favour.  It isn't me being
obliged to rush around to prove anything.  My concern gets aroused when
you go around implying in public that you're sending mail to my server
but that my server isn't accepting it:  If that's ever true, I want to
know immediately, and to fix it.  When it's not true -- as has
repeatedly proved to be the case, concerning your postings to that
effect -- I still want to know ASAP, but also to make sure other people
know ASAP that the implication proved to be untrue.

>     I am going to resend that longer post shortly and if it fails
> to show up I will cut it up into at least two posts.

Not sure why either your ISP's SMTP server or your mail client would
ever be _that_ sensitive to message length.  For the record, my SMTP
server software (Exim4) is configured to accept individual SMTP pieces
up to 50 MB.  This is fairly typical, albeit the exact figure is set
per-site.

(Each GNU Mailman mailing list site also has a per-mailing-list maximum
size limit applied to attempted postings, configurable by the listadmin.
The built-in Mailman default max. posting size is 40 kB.)