[sf-lug] Sonic: Re: Inexpensive Internet provider in Brisbane?

Tony Godshall togo at of.net
Mon Mar 23 21:33:17 PDT 2020

They are all-in on fiber, which is great.

But if there's no fiber to the buildings in your area, they'll try to
sell you what they can sell you.  And that's old school DSL, at a way
worse value proposition.

Anybody on this list with actual Brisbane experience?  I used to point
people to BroadbandReports.com/DSLReports.com, but that site got a lot
less useful at some point.

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 7:31 PM Michael Paoli
<Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Sonic - from my research this past December, and at least for residential,
> if Sonic has fibre to the building, that's all that they'll offer for
> any new service.  No static IPv4, and other limitations on it ... but
> it has bandwidth.
> Sonic still does DSL, and I'm guestimating they'll offer it for new
> service if there's still no fibre to the building.  I didn't price it
> (there's fibre to my building), but I'm guessing the price is
> reasonable(ish?) for their DSL.  Not sure what restrictions it may
> have, but I've heard from a subscriber that one can get a static IPv4
> (and I'm guessing merely one with their base offering).
> I've heard slightly varying reports regarding to TCP port 25 on The
> Internet (might also vary a bit by context/service).
>
> > From: "Tony Godshall" <togo at of.net>
> > Subject: Re: [sf-lug] Inexpensive Internet provider in Brisbane?
> > Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 15:16:38 -0700
>
> > Sonic is not "mostly fiber now" in most places.  They are mostly fiber
> > in very few cities.  They are Mostly DSL in most cities.
> >

> > On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 3:04 PM Alan Swithenbank
> > <alans at cuervo.stanford.edu> wrote:
> >>

> >> I don't know how far down they go, but, I use Sonic (https://www.sonic.com/)
> >> out in the Sunset, and am pretty happy with them (mostly fiber now). Plans
> >> start around $40/month.
> >>
> >> Alan Swithenbank

> >> SF-LUG is at http://www.sf-lug.org/
> >

> > --