[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting notes of Sunday March 1, 2020

maestro maestro415 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 11:28:43 PST 2020

Thank you Aaron C for an interesting write up...

MX Linux is a distro I have suggested you take for a drive before.
It runs sysvinit  <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Init> and has a systemd
option in Grub
for anyone that would want to boot up with it.
They have a decent brief write up on their system and the 'why's' &
'what-for's' here:
<https://mxlinux.org/wiki/system/systemd/>
I have mentioned the distro to Bobbie S. a few times and encouraged them to
try it and
now it seems they're carrying it on usb's to meetings...

Re: Artix
I ran this when it first came out and it was [by their own admission] VERY
buggy.
That was a long time ago and you are the second reference to it in as many
weeks so
I want to dive back in and check out how it has developed and thank you...
I love a lot of ideas going on with it...
Since Manjaro caved on their OpenRC version(s) I have dumped it :-((>

Artix has a steep learning curve [which they transparently let people know
in the past up front] so
folks shouldn't expect any hand holding in the installation(s),
documentation, or forums/IRC's.
If one has a secondary machine it is fun to 'play around with' and will
really show you the absolute
beauty of Linux and Arch Linux.
One can go one step further if so inclined and install Devuan on another
partition on the same machine
and see the methods and differences in two non_systemd_distros based on two
different distros.

It's nice to hear you are coming to the meetings regularly since the last
one I saw you attending...

'm......' >>>

message ends.
__________________

On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 8:07 AM aaronco36 <aaronco36 at sdf.org> wrote:

> Quoting Bobbie Sellers <bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com> from [01]:
>
> > 1150 Aaron C. came it with one of his 32 bit laptops.
> ..
> ..
>
> > Aaron C. told Jim about a new set of Libraries apparently
> > making it easier to avoid systemd. I will welcome their
> > input about the matter.
>
> That "new set of Libraries" is the musl-libc alternative to glibc.
> Quoting [02]:

> musl is an implementation of the C standard library built on top of the
> Linux system call API, including interfaces defined in the base language
> standard, POSIX, and widely agreed-upon extensions. musl is lightweight,
> fast, simple, free, and strives to be correct in the sense of
> standards-conformance and safety.
>
> A nice description of musl vs glibc is at Reddit's 'ELI5: What is musl and
> glibc?' [03].
>
> For "one of [my] 32 bit laptops", I downloaded and then installed Void
> Linux, "the first distribution to switch to LibreSSL by default, replacing
> OpenSSL"[04].  Void Linux uses runit as the default init system instead of
> systemd [05].  Semi-unfortunately, I was restricted to using Void's
> i686-glibc for that 32 bit laptop [06] instead of musl, for reasons that
> may be best explained within the Void Linux's 'Musl' entry [07].
>
> IIRC, I also mentioned to Jim about other non-systemd distros which use
> alternate init systems; the advanced 64bit Arch-based Obarun Linux [08]
> which uses skarnet's s6 small suite of programs [09] "to allow process
> supervision (a.k.a service supervision), in the line of daemontools and
> runit", and the 64bit Arch-based Artix Linux which can now use runit,
> OpenRC _or_ s6 as the installed init systems (alternate init system ISO
> downloads currently listed in [11].
>
> -A

> REFERENCES
> [011]http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/sf-lug/2020q1/014584.html
> [02]https://musl.libc.org/
> [03]
> https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxmasterrace/comments/41q2m9/eli5_what_is_musl_and_glibc/
> [04]https://voidlinux.org/
> [05]https://wiki.voidlinux.org/Runit
> [06]https://wiki.voidlinux.org/Live_Images
> [07]https://wiki.voidlinux.org/Musl
> [08]https://web.obarun.org/
> [09]https://www.skarnet.org/software/s6/
> [10]https://artixlinux.org/
> [11]https://download.artixlinux.org/isos.php

*~the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear...*