[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting notes of Sunday March 1, 2020

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Sun Mar 1 16:14:51 PST 2020

Hi LUGers,

      1049 arrived at the Cafe Enchante a bit late due to problems around
Union Square.
      Preceded by John S. with his salable Latitude and a good router.
      He had seated himself at the large table and the remaining Apple
user decided to leave that table when I sat down.

      Took me some time to get setup.
      While I was doing that, Ken and Sunny S. came in.
      1135 Jim S. showed up.
      1150 Aaron C. came it with one of his 32 bit laptops.

      John was having a problem with memory DIMMS and Ken tried to help him
out.  The labels on the DIMMS were very hard to read.  When John had
installed these in the desktop he was trying to upgrade he got beeping
before
he turned the computer on.  He merely had to connect the computer to the
power socket and it would start beeping.  A similar machine worked ok with
these DIMMS.

      John and Ken tried out some of the boot-table Flash Drives I had
produced
over the last month.  This included the Kali 2020.1, MX 19.1, Clear Linux
(latest version), PCLinuxOS64 KDE Magnum 2020.02, Ubuntu 18.04.4, Ubuntu
Mate
  and Ubuntu Kylin all of the same version.   John had some problems
finding the
route to the software for wireless connection and I managed to do it on
several
of the ones he had problems with.  I had Lubuntu 18.04.4 along but did
not dig
it out in time for anyone to try it out.

     Ken has his small ASUS netbook/laptop along which is the device he
tried
Clear Linux(an Intel Product that works better on Ryzen from AMD than on
Intel processors.

     Ken had brought in a version of Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (still weeks from
release)
and John found it easy to use.
      Ken tried out Clear Linux and pronounced it satisfactory.

      Aaron C.  told Jim about a new set of Libraries apparently making it
easier to avoid systemd.  I will welcome their input about the matter.

     Aaron C. got the good router.

     The meeting wrapped up around 1245 and I started to pack up.
Aaron stayed behind to download a late version of Void Linux and possibly
to digest a lovely large sandwich.

     I hope you all have or will vote this week, and that you remember that
March 8 you will have to set your clock forward by an hour to return to
Pacific Daylight Saving Time.

     Next meeting will be on Sunday April 5 and you should see my note
around 03/30/2020.

     Thanks for your attention.  As usual if I missed something or
misconstrued
something please reply to the list so that misinformation will not
persist if
you too attended the meeting.

     Bobbie Sellers