[sf-lug] Byfield's "Verdict" on systemd

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Feb 5 18:17:48 PST 2020

Quoting Alex Kleider (akleider at sonic.net):

> Am I correct then that you would not currently recommend Debian,
> presumably because of systemd?
>
> ...and if so, what alternative would you recommend?  You mentioned
> two or three but if I read the posting correctly there wasn't a
> strong endorsement for any of them.

At the risk of sounding cagey, the term 'recommend' is a bit broad, and
I might counter with recommend for what and for whom?   In general,
choice of distro should logically depend of factors that depend on the
person, such as what the person wants to do and what the person is most
concerned about.

The early years of LUGs featured a lot of people loudly trying to
convince all comers that $SOME_DISTRO was the one true way for everyone,
and pretty much immediately I classified distro-advocacy as noxious,
just as OS-advocacy had always been before it -- and I decided to never
do it, if humanly possible.

However, I know the question comes up even though I dislike it, so I
FAQed what I hope is a suitably nuanced answer as part of my personal
FAQ, and (necessary disclaimer) last updated that item a few years ago:
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/kicking.html#distro

Beyond that, Alex (and, again, I'm hoping to not sound like I'm being
difficult), what does Ubuntu LTS not provide that you are interested in?
Also, do I correctly guess by 'I don't need all that it provides' and
'way more than I need' that you're fretting about bloat and/or sluggish
performance, or, if not, what is the focus of your discontent?