[sf-lug] Portable Unix anyone?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Dec 23 19:09:34 PST 2019

Quoting Tony Godshall (togo at of.net):

> So, "run on every computer" is definitely a lie.
>
> Jeez I hate hype.

I'm pretty sure it's not possible to run on every computer:
Some of them would be awfully uneven surfaces, and one could hurt
one's running shoes, not to mention knees.  And I don't think I could
even tread on a Cray One, unless someone laid it sideways.

Anyway, I continue to hold the view, kindly quoted by Aaron in this
space recently, that test-booting live-CD distros is a dreadfully
inadequate and ultimately distortive/self-defeating method of 'trying
out' a Linux distribution other than just getting a five-minute
impression with the knowledge that a _real_ installation will have
different performance and other characteristics.

And I think pretending as if that were not the case does any unwary
newcomers to SF-LUG meetings a disservice.  Just my opinion (that
happens to correspond with reality ;-> ).