[sf-lug] Best way to install a .exe firmware updater

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Mon Nov 25 13:54:38 PST 2019

Update on the exe firmware saga: I think I did it!

I made yet another try with Rufus on the borrowed Windows box to
make a Windows to Go stick, using a different target stick (this
time, an SD card in an ancient USB adapter). And this one apparently
worked! At least it booted all the way to Windows asking me all the
annoying setup questions (do you want to let Microsoft track you in
these 12 different ways? etc.) and then it let me run the exe.
The trackpad is definitely behaving differently after running
the flasher, so *something* changed ... fingers crossed.

The key piece seems to be that every USB stick is different, and
this process is incredibly sensitive to having just the right stick
(I tried at least four others previously). It might even be possible
to make a Win to Go from Virtualbox or Wine if you had just the
right target stick -- which does not mean the fastest, the newest,
the biggest, or the one with the seemingly reliable brand name.
I have no idea what makes one stick work while another one fails,
so I guess the moral is to keep trying.

Of course I'll be writing this up in more detail on my blog.
Thanks, everybody, for the suggestions and support.

        ...Akkana