[sf-lug] Debian Project's proposals this wknd re: init systems

maestro maestro415 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 10:03:10 PST 2019

i am loving the MX Linux i'm running...

i think you will be intrigued by it if you haven't already
taken it for a 'test drive'.

may i ask publicly here how you are liking sdf.org?...

will you please share any 'issues' and/or problems you have with it here?...

thank you...

/'m......'/ >>>

message ends.
__________________

On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 6:08 PM aaronco36 <aaronco36 at sdf.org> wrote:

> FYI, the Debian Project came out this weekend with its 'General
> Resolution: Init Systems and systemd'; see reference [1].
>
> While it may *currently* be "trivially straightforward" for many/most
> Debian users to replace systemd init and its dependencies using the
> helpful hints Rick M described in 'Debian 8 "Jessie" OpenRC
> Conversion'[2], the same may *not* be necessarily true going forward
> should the Debian Project adopt "Proposal C Choice 3: Focus on systemd for
> Init System and Other Facilities"
> Non-systemd purists might then reconsider one or more of the non-systemd,
> Debian-based Linux distros listed in reference [3], namely MX Linux,
> antiX, Devuan GNU+Linux, etcetera.
>
> OTOH, I can easily imagine someone such as Benno Rice more actively
> reaching out to *non*-systemd advocates among Debian Project
> members/voters (as Benno did as described and presented in references [4]
> thru [6] directed to the FreeBSD community) to convince the latter to
> ultimately reject from within [1] the 'Proposal A Choice 1: Affirm Init
> Diversity'.
> Maybe even using a spoken and deceptive ruse such as "I come to *bury*
> systemd init, not to praise it", alluding to Mark Antony's famous Funeral
> Speech in William Shakespeare's tragedy _Julius Caesar_ starting at ~1
> minute into the YouTube video [7] :\
>
> -A
>

> ======================================
> References
> ======================================
> [1]https://www.debian.org/vote/2019/vote_002
> [2]http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Debian/openrc-conversion.html
> [3]
> https://distrowatch.com/search.php?ostype=Linux&category=All&origin=All&basedon=Debian&notbasedon=None&desktop=All&architecture=All&package=All&rolling=All&isosize=All&netinstall=All&language=All&defaultinit=Not+systemd&status=Active#simple
> [4]https://lwn.net/Articles/777595/
> [5]https://youtu.be/o_AIw9bGogo
> [6]
> https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/aot1ga/benno_rice_the_tragedy_of_systemd_linuxconfau_2019/
> [7]https://youtu.be/7X9C55TkUP8

*~the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear...*