[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting notes

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Sun Nov 3 16:55:09 PST 2019

Hi LUGers,

     Hope you are enjoying the lovely weather.

     I got out of the house a bit late but got to the Cafe Enchante in
good time.
  John S. had preceded me but we were unable to get the use of the large
table.
3 students were using it though-out our meeting.

       The meeting took place around 2 small tables as I showed off my
latest
batch of Flash Drives which seemed to surprise John S. who had brought
in his
late model 4K laptop.

      I got my Dell E6520 setup and booted into Mageia 7.1 and did some
updates
then started a game of Angband(an addictive dungeon crawl) which I started
playing on an Amiga with a 68000 cpu.  Sadly it has been so long since I
played
that I had forgotten the save command. Then I shut it down

      Well then Ken and his wife showed up.

      Jim Stockford and Aaron C, showed up next.

      Jim is interested in Python and teaching a new student so the Python
classroom on Fedora 31 running Gnome was the next thing I booted up.

      John S. had no problem booting up the MX-19, AntiX 19, or anything
else
but had no interest in running them because they are not responding to the
4K screen with properly sized fonts or icons.  Adjusting them
practically takes
a magnifying glass except with Gnome 3.3 on Ubuntu where a program
called Gnome Tweaks is available to help the user.

     Maestro came by momentarily but decided that there was not enough
room and took care of other business in the neighborhood.

      Jim had brought in the Intel Stick computer that originated with
Ken who
first gave it to me then I passed it on to Jim when he evinced interest in
a web page server.   Ken had brought in a very small hdmi monitor which
was attached to the computer along with a keyboard and mouse then
Ken demonstrated the proper setup of the stick computer.

      Fedora Python Classroom 31 and my meager demonstration of it
convinced Jim that he wanted it to use with his new programming student.

      Robert J. who had gotten me to download TAILS for him came in
and before I was done I had demoed, in addiction to TAILS, Fedora 31
Live KDE,
AntiX-19 and even pclinuxos64 KDE.  Robert bought rather than checked them
out.
      He last came to a meeting about 3 years ago and I only vaguely
remembered him.  He had gotten sidetracked from pursuing Linux he said.
He, I think, is still in the exploratory stage of Linux use trying to
find a
distribution or more than one that suits his usage

      Aaron C. with an older computer from a family member was occupied
using Roxie on AntiX-19 to setup icons on the desktop to suit a user who is
not happy with menus.

      Finally one James Howard showed up, an old compatriot of Jim
Stockford and
of Aaron C.  This happy reunion occupied about an an extra hour of time but
eventually Jim Stockford gave myself and Aaron C.  rides onward.

     Anyone attending the meeting is free to correct my omissions or
incomprehension of the activities and asked to do so asap so that the
membership not in attendance will not be mis-informed any longer
than necessary.

     So this was a fairly good meeting aside from the small table space
available.

     The next meeting will be on Sunday December 1.  My regular notice
may be
expected around November 25.
     Have a happy Thanksgiving and a calm Black Friday.

     Bobbie Sellers