[sf-lug] SF-LUG meets Monday 17 June 2019

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Jun 10 09:33:34 PDT 2019

Hi LUGers,

   SF-LUG meets on third Monday of every month from 6 P.M. to 8 P.M.
and  on first Sunday of every month from 11 A.M. to 1 P.M.
at the Cafe Enchante, 26th and Geary Boulevard.

    If you have a problem come along and maybe we can help but if not
we can usually find someone  who can.  We can help with people who
are unfamiliar with Linux and perform installations on most x86 cpu
computers of easy to use Linux distributions.

   Additions to the distribution library...

Zorin-OS-15-Core-64-bit.iso which of course is
a long time established distribution to help former
Windows users to move to Linux. There are of
course many such distributions including my favorite
PCLinuxOS which comes with KDE configured to
ape Windows.   With KDE it does not have to stay
that way.

manjaro-kde-18.0.4-stable-x86_64.iso
no time to form an opinion on this yet but
I expect it is a general distribution with
all the tools.

Mageia-7-rc-Live-Plasma-x86_64.iso is another excellent
distribution for people interested in leaving Microsloth
products behind.  Sadly it uses systemd.  Note that this
is a Release Candidate and the final versions should be
out soon.   Then I will grab the big installation version
with several choices of desktop and the 586 version
with xfce.   In my opinion though it closely resembles
original Mandriva releases in a great many ways.

PCLinuxOS64 in KDE's Plasma 5, in Mate, and the Darkstar
version with Plasma 5 which is more compact than the
others.  All are Live and capable of being Installed via
a Graphical Interface, Synaptic is the package handling
tool though "apt-get" is offered as a choice from the
Update notifying tool which can save some time and
screen space.   This stable and excellent rolling release
does NOT use systemd which is only one reason I use
it.      The latest version number is 2019.05.

     Last week I was able to get Linux Pro magazine
Issue 223 for June 2019.
     Distributions of the Month are Ubuntu Mate 18.10
and
     FreeBSD 12.0. - in the magazine is an article discussing
the problems of using a server distribution as  a desktop
system.  Will the excellent server work thusly?

     Topic promoted on the cover: Gnome Remote Desktop
which is about Remote Sharing for Wayland-based systems.

     GiT Tricks version Control Secrets from the experts!
     Chose a GiT GUI
     BASH 5.0 Long awaited update to the classic Hacker Shell.
     (Never, ever considered this as hacker tool.)

     VolksPC -Run a Debian desktop over Android!
     Google Firebase Cloud storage for IoT projects
     Sudo Voodoo - Fine Tune system privileges!

     And much more with two projects in MakerSpace:
one about the EOMA64 Laptop and the other concerned
with making a useful tool with a 3D printer.

     Linux Voice:
     • Taking Notes with Joplin
     • maddog: Freedom Zero
     • Unforeseen Incidents: A Point-and-Click Mystery
         (a game)
and there is a cartoon starring Elvie!

     FOSSPicks
     • Kdenlive
     • Bookworm
     • Plasma Pass
     Tutorials:
     • Shell Math
     • More openSCAD

     And of course there is more stuff at www.linuxpromagazine.com
     I got this at the Fog City News on Market East of of 1st on the
South side of the Street.
     Lots of lovely chocolate and other magazines and some papers there.

     So I will be there early on the 17th of June from 6-8 PM.
     I try to get there about 5:30 but with the MUNI involved
I might be later than that.

     Bobbie Sellers