[sf-lug] Joker.com: Your domains are about to expire (expiration report)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jun 3 08:11:56 PDT 2019

> Y'all should coordinate* & decide on the other(s),
[...]

You know that's unlikely to happen, right?

Public mailing lists populated by mostly loosely associated people
are great places to have discussion, and ineffective places to
coordinate or decide things, in my experience.

It's like building a house with wet noodles.

Also, in my experience, when everyone's responsible for watching a
deadline but nobody specificaiwelly, well, you know the rest.

Consider this:  Years ago, I helped develop the Perl script domain-check
to monitor via cron reports a list of domains for pending renewal dates
(but its maintained successor is now Jesse Monroy's d-check), and
offered those to the world under GPLv2 for everyone to be able to use,
but who else but me has adopted that precaution?  To my knowledge,
nobody.  (Correct me if I'm wrong, and it would be pleasant to hear.)

(All of your advice is excellent, of course, so thanks.)