[sf-lug] [L]UG meetings, weekly, bimonthly, monthly, ... (Re: Status of ...)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu May 23 07:25:26 PDT 2019

> Anyway, I didn't start going to BUUG until sometime in 2003,
> but I heard tale that once-upon-a-time it met weekly.

My (faint) recollection is the same.[1]  And that I was relieved that, for
a change, a LUG scaled back its schedule rather than publicly
faceplanting and falling apart unfixably, the way CCSF LUG did.

What you'd need, IMO, for a weekly BUUG schedule to be _not_ an accident
waiting to happen, is for there to be at least two devoted regular
attendees who are both local to downtown Berkeley, are reliably in town,
have no medium-term plans otherwise, and both madly love sitting in Au
Coquelet at the same time every week like clockwork and chatting about
Unixes.

Otherwise, you know what's eventually going to happen:  You'll end up
with several weeks in a row of nobody being present to say 'Yes, this
pair of tables is the BUUG meeting', and then the public perception will
be 'BUUG folded' and it becomes a hard slog overcoming that impression,
because it takes a long time for the 'No, really, it's on again' to
bubble out among folks and also be taken seriously.

[1] If either of us cared enough, Internet Archive snapshots of either
BALE or the BUUG site could confirm.