[sf-lug] Notification about ZombieLoad Attack vulnerabilities

aaronco36 aaronco36 at SDF.ORG
Fri May 17 08:07:01 PDT 2019

And quoting Bobbie Sellers <bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com> :
> here is another URL that was referred to as cute.
> It does not seem to be a fully comprehensive list as
> it was said to be.  The answers to the questions are
> cute though.
> https://cpu.fail

Four factoids I note after viewing that "cute" URL, though, are....
a) The https://cpu.fail URL links directly back to reference [1] above for
the Zombieload Attack vulnerability.

b) SJVN's article of reference [7] previously quoted above ends up
referring to Red Hat's own MDS - Microarchitectural Data Sampling
vulnerability site https://access.redhat.com/security/vulnerabilities/mds

c) Maybe the severity of the MDS vulnerabilities are stated precisely as
they are or should be for "all users of Intel processors made since 2011"
-- as stable Linux kernel maintainer Greg Kroah-Hartman himself bluntly
states -- or maybe the vulnerability notifications on security sites such
as the above are way too alarmist.
In either case, Red Hat rates the CVE-2018-12130 Microarchitectural Fill
Buffer Data Sampling (MFBDS) vulnerability as having a distinctly
"Important impact".
Quoting directly from
https://access.redhat.com/security/updates/classification/ on what Red Hat
considers an "Important impact":
This rating is given to flaws that can easily compromise the
confidentiality, integrity, or availability of resources. These are the
types of vulnerabilities that allow local users to gain privileges, allow
unauthenticated remote users to view resources that should otherwise be
protected by authentication, allow authenticated remote users to execute
arbitrary code, or allow remote users to cause a denial of service.

d) Red Hat's MDS vulnerability site brought in (b) brought above has an
"Impact" tab that lists the following Red Hat product versions that may be
impacted by the MDS vulnerabilities:
* Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5
* Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6
* Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7
* Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8
* Red Hat Atomic Host
* Red Hat Enterprise MRG 2
* Red Hat OpenShift Online v3
* Red Hat Virtualization (RHV/RHV-H)
* Red Hat OpenStack Platform
** Those regularly working with these Red Hat products (and/or their
CentOS and Fedora Linux equivalents) might even wish-to/have-to take extra
note of the published MDS vulnerabilities, assuming that they haven't done
so already :-|

Just saying....

-A

aaronco36 at sdf.org