[sf-lug] USB 3.0 Flash Drives - Penguin shaped and others

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Thu Apr 25 21:02:17 PDT 2019

Hi LUGers.

     Well I was too tired today to do more than a single errand and the
email
was very uninspiring.   Some people ask about Penguin Flash Drives such
as the smaller items which Ken found and which I found at the Office Depot.

     So I went e-shopping on Walmart.
     I searched on the term in the Subject line.
     Walmart is rotten in the search department so I got USB anything
Flash Drives.
     There are 50 pages of 20 items each with some repetition.
     The URL where my search started:
<https://www.walmart.com/search/?cat_id=0&page=1&query=USB+.0+Flash+Drives#searchProductResult>

     I did find a Penguin Flash Drive and you can see it at:
<https://www.walmart.com/ip/16GB-Cartoon-Animal-Penguin-USB-2-0-Flash-Drive-Memory-Stick-Thumb-Drive-without-logo/718148660>

     Now I want to point out that I saw Flash Drives disguised as
costume jewelry, FD meant to provide
connections via FD between Android and regular computers, FD to connect
to Apple tablets and phones
via Lightening and USB, Voice Recorders built into USB drives usually
with about 8 megs of storage.
Tiny FD of low & high capacity meant to be plugged in and left in place,
FD with characters from movies
and games which because of licensing can be very expensive, FD with
external keypads, and rotating
combination locks.   Flash drives with logos from professional and
college teams.  Do not be mislead
by ads of password protected Flash Drive as nearly any Linux can be used
for this and both
Nomad BSD and Knoppix offer encryption in the persistent storage.

     Now about the nearly unknown brands I purchased to use at the
meetings.  Kootion is one of
these.  I have found that the plastic caps can adhere so tightly to the
drive that the shell is pulled
off when I attempted to remove the plastic cap and again pulled off when
I removed the FD from
computer but in no case so far did the missing metal case affect the
functioning of the Flash
memory and in every case the metal shell could be easily replaced.
Remember these are
cheap but the memory inside is no different than you see in the more
expensive drives.
I have bought the sort of drive with a swiveling cover such as the
recent offering from
Central Computer which was 128 GB for about $18.00 but I don't care for
the swiveling
cover.
     So far the black drives on which I have installed persistent
Knoppix are push outs of
medium quality and mostly 3.0.  If you fail to understand these terms
then come to
a meeting and I will show you the difference but I will not bring along
the 4 GB drive
with swivel cover that failed.
     And Computer Central has two form factors one pushout and one with
a cap
and cap storage for about $5 each.
<https://www.centralcomputer.com/kingston-16gb-dt100g3-16gb-usb-3-0-datatraveler-100-g3-16-gbusb-3-0-black-retractable.html>
<https://www.centralcomputer.com/kingston-dtig4-16gb-16gb-usb3-0-datatraveler-g4-flash-drive-blue-white.html>

     This is preliminary to the meeting notice for May 5th which will be
out next week and may make some
folks interested in getting a Flash Drive to run Nomad BSD or Knoppix from.

     Bobbie Sellers