[sf-lug] Topic change from out of date books - eBooks to California geology

Alex Kleider akleider at sonic.net
Thu Apr 25 09:09:04 PDT 2019

On 2019-04-25 08:38, aaronco36 wrote:

> Getting back to works by native (and contemporary) speakers of
> English, try non-fiction author John McPhee, e.g., a collection of
> three long essays collected in a single volume as _The Control of
> Nature_.  The individual pieces can still be read online at
> https://www.newyorker.com/ , for free, and the quiet effectiveness of
> McPhee's descriptive writing style will knock your socks off.
> https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/the-control-of-nature

"Assembling California" was one of my favourite John McPhee books.
In the opening paragraph he takes a trip to Pacifica to have a look
where the San Andreas Fault heads out to sea.  It then 'hits' land again
at Bolinas Bay and follows Hwy 1 ("Star Route) all the way to Tomales
Bay and out to sea again.
There's an interesting phenomenon in that (Olema) valley: two streams
running parallel to each other, one flowing North and the other flowing
South.

Pardon the ramble.
Alex