[sf-lug] SFLUG.org

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Apr 12 14:27:58 PDT 2019

Quoting Al (awsflug at sunnyside.com):

> Rick, Michael, et al,
> Ok, I'm back in town.  I think there was an email with a concise
> list of the name servers but I've lost track of it,
[...]
> It would help me to get the short summary of name servers.

You're thinking of this list:

$ whois sf-lug.org | grep 'Name Server'
Name Server: NS1.LINUXMAFIA.COM
Name Server: NS.PRIMATE.NET
Name Server: NS1.SVLUG.ORG
Name Server: NS1.SF-LUG.ORG
$

> so let me know the list of IPs and names for root registered name
> servers and I'll put them in as well.

I tried to do something clever with piping that through awk '{print $3}'
to get _just_ the hostnames and then piping  that through xargs to run
'host' or 'dig' on them (in order to _also_ report the IPs), but can't
seem to find a way to get the latter commands to validly process stdin.
So, manually:

$ host NS1.LINUXMAFIA.COM
NS1.LINUXMAFIA.COM has address 198.144.195.186
$ host NS.PRIMATE.NET
NS.PRIMATE.NET has address 198.144.194.12
NS.PRIMATE.NET has IPv6 address 2001:470:1f04:51a::2
$ host NS1.SVLUG.ORG
NS1.SVLUG.ORG has address 64.62.190.98
NS1.SVLUG.ORG has IPv6 address 2600:3c01::f03c:91ff:fe96:e78e
NS1.SVLUG.ORG mail is handled by 10 mail.SVLUG.ORG.
$ host NS1.SF-LUG.ORG
NS1.SF-LUG.ORG has address 198.144.194.238
NS1.SF-LUG.ORG has IPv6 address 2001:470:1f04:19e::2
$

> and I think Jim was pushing for something slightly different.

Yeah, sorry about the lack of clarity, even though it's perhaps
unavoidable with too many cooks and no coordination worth mentioning.

I of course don't speak in any way for Jim, and can best serve this
situation by trying re-find what he said.  Maybe you mean this post:
http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/sf-lug/2019q2/013999.html
To be honest, I'm not sure how to restate that in summary form.

> Also, I see someone wanted ns1.sflug.org to exist (or was it ns.?),

Michael cited that as a fine point to attend to _eventually_.  Quoting:

  We should tweak things further later
  (e.g. ns1.sf-lug.org. --> ns1.sflug.org.)
  but "good enough" for the moment.

http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/sf-lug/2019q2/013983.html

(I'll be totally frank:  Although Michael and I chat enough that I can
in good conscience summarise what he's said wtihout fear of getting it
wrong, we often have a difference in style:  Michael will want to delay
more than I do in order to attend to many small details, in situations
where I'm of the Church of Get It Done Now, and Fix the Small Things
Later.  And I'm far from claiming that either of those general appraches
is better than the other.)

> I keep offering to be a name server as well (I'm triple homed) but I
> don't need to be.

I think it'd be a good idea, but it's up to Michael/Jim/Grant as people
running the master nameserver.  (I think Michael just recently said
I now have sudo access to administer that nameserver, but I haven't
investigated that, yet.)