[sf-lug] whois: sf-lug.org/sf-lug.com & Joker.com: Re: SF[-]LUG & domain(s) Re: Domain ...

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Sun Apr 7 16:47:46 PDT 2019

> From: "Rick Moen" <rick at linuxmafia.com>
> Subject: Re: [sf-lug] SF[-]LUG & domain(s) Re: Domain ...
> Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2019 16:09:04 -0700

> Quoting Michael Paoli (Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu):
>
>> Well, as for sf-lug.org & sf-lug.com on joker.com ...
>> whois ... it has Jim (James Stockford) & Rick Moen,
>> as for access to that (e.g. change or whatever), I've got access
>> and I believe Jim still does too.
>> As for the "broken" whois ...
>> Yeah, ... GDPR ...
>> https://joker.com/index.joker?mode=reseller_docs#gdpr
>> I'm not spotting, at least easily on joker.com - a way to "unhide"
>> the customary whois data.
>
> Oh, it's much worse than that.  They're declaring that it's permanently
> gone for all domains registered there.
>
> tl;dr:  IMO, time to jump ship.
>
> https://joker.com/index.joker#gdpr has the new policy, and it's pretty
> dire in its effects.  (The URL you give is restricted to logged-in
> users, but the one immediately above isn't.  I was able to view your
> page after logging in using my Joker.com customer account, and it
> appears to be the same page contents.)

Yeah, ... that was the impression I got from a quick skim of the materials,
I didn't see anything - instructions, or link, etc. - even hinting at a
way to "opt in" to make that information public.
I think ghandi.net has (or was working on?) such a procedure/capability,
at last I remember reading it there.

Hmm, I wonder if someone somewhere has a nice web(/wiki?) page up
somewhere, with all the various registrars, and what they're doing
with the whois data and GDPR and if they have an "opt in" way to make
that data public - maybe even with the link to [instructions to] do so.
Could be a nice item on (mis-)feature list to use when comparing and
shopping for registrars.  I should look at gandi.net again - I've
multiple (some mine, some [L]UGs) domains there ... see what the
current situation is, and - as feasible adjust accordingly.  Must say
I've been quite (if not highly?) pleased with gandi.net ... but I'm
curious where they are (and by now), with the GDPR/whois situation.

There's likely also good info out there "somewhere" on where ICANN
is with whois data (& policies) and the GDPR(/etc.?) situation.

STFW (Search The Fine Web) ...
site:icann.org GDPR
https://www.icann.org/dataprotectionprivacy