[sf-lug] Domain administration (broken WHOIS)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Apr 6 16:22:55 PDT 2019

Quoting Al (awsflug at sunnyside.com):

> sflug.org - Rick mentioned that it was available so I grabbed it.
> I've learned not to wait on those things - it often doesn't end
> well.

Well done, sir!  I commend you -- and respect your having spent $12 (or
whatever GoDaddy charged)  on speculation that this move would be
appreciated (which I'll admit I wasn't willing to do).

My suggestion would indeed before SF-LUG to use your generous
acquisition to shed the hyphen and migrate to that as the standard
domain format.  Long-term (assuming SF-LUG wishes to adopt it), it would
be best to move the domain a second time, after its
clientTransferProhibited period expires, to a different registrar.
GoDaddy is usually the very cheapest registrar, but in every other way
tends to be, um, kind of awful.

I also strongly advise sharing the registrar login credential among
several people, and having diversity among the WHOIS contacts
(Registrant, Tech Contact, Admin Contact, Billing Contact) so as to
avoid a single point of failure problem.

Also, perhaps you wouldn't mind introducing yourself.  (I might be alone
in this, but don't think I know 'Al <awsflug at sunnyside.com>'.  If you'd
rather not, no problem, though.)