[sf-lug] SF[-]LUG & domain(s) Re: Domain ...

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Sat Apr 6 15:13:49 PDT 2019

Domain(s) ... SF-LUG ... I see, without hyphen, compared to the
existing sf-lug.org (canonical) & sf-lug.com ...
without -, I see .org is taken, but .com is available.
Not sure if you were referring to the former or the latter.
I also notice from the expiration date of the former, it was
probably very recently (Expiry Date: 2020-04-06T14:09:16Z)
either acquired - or renewed.

I can deal with (/"support") whatever domain(s) SF[-]LUG wants ...
and cover yearly registration costs on *one* (at least fairly typical
.org or .com or whatever - but not some other substantially more
pricey domains).  If folks want more than one, other(s) can cover
those costs (e.g. last time around, someone else covered the
sf-lug.com renewal cost).

As for what domain(s) SF[-]LUG ought have, that's probably a
call for Jim and/or SF[-]LUG ... well, probably not consensus,
but ... at least plurality decision.

I've (thus far) heard nothing regarding ownership of SFLUG.ORG
... whois ... godaddy ...
Registrar URL: http://www.whois.godaddy.com
$ dig +noall +answer +comments www.whois.godaddy.com. ANY | sed -e
'/^;/{/NX/p;d;};/^$/d'
$
Heh ... way to run an organization, eh?

If SF[-]LUG were to want to drop sf-lug.org for any reason (e.g.
in favor of something else), should probably have a least a year
of overlap, as sf-lug.org is very well established and the canonical.
On the other hand, sf-lug.com isn't canonical and could probably be
dropped (like not renewed) at most any time, and ... likely no big
deal ... though might be good for "us" (a.k.a. me) to review traffic
stats on sf-lug.com before presuming such.

And yeah, jumping domains and/or changing canonical, does require work
by *some* folks - e.g. web hosting (me, at least presently),
DNS (me, Rick, ...).  Not exactly a huge deal, but it's not like
such changes require zero resources.  Also change of name, e.g.
even dropping a hyphen (-) - that has larger impacts too, as
practically everything referencing SF-LUG - does properly have
hyphen - as that's how it is and has always been ... at least
thus far.

DNS queries against sf-lug.org. ... if we remove the -
give us SERVFAIL ... but that might be semi-expected
if someone just acquired domain and hadn't yet
planned out or provided for the infrastructure to use it ... at
least quite yet.