[sf-lug] Domain administration (broken WHOIS)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Apr 6 01:38:00 PDT 2019

Hey, Michael!  I noticed a highly desirable domain that SF-LUG probably
would want to switch to, that's currently available to anyone (not
difficult to guess -- basically, the group could lose that hyphen),
and so I set out to remind myself who owns & administers the existing
domains, by looking at the public WHOIS contacts?  You're way ahead of
me, right?  You can probably guess what I'm about to say next.

$ whois -h whois.joker.com sf-lug.com
Domain Name: sf-lug.com
Registry Domain ID: 123972386_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.joker.com
Registrar URL: https://joker.com
Updated Date: 2018-05-04T14:25:58Z
Creation Date: 2004-07-02T21:17:46Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2019-07-02T21:17:46Z
Registrar: CSL Computer Service Langenbach GmbH d/b/a joker.com
Registrar IANA ID: 113
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: abuse at joker.com
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +49.21186767447
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited
https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Registrant Organization: San Francisco Linux User Group
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Email: https://csl-registrar.com/contact/sf-lug.com/owner
Admin Email: https://csl-registrar.com/contact/sf-lug.com/admin
Tech Email: https://csl-registrar.com/contact/sf-lug.com/tech
Name Server: ns.primate.net
Name Server: ns1.linuxmafia.com
Name Server: ns1.sf-lug.com
DNSSEC: signedDelegation
URL of the ICANN Whois Inaccuracy Complaint Form:
https://www.icann.org/wicf/
>>> Last update of WHOIS database: 2019-04-06T08:28:25Z <<<
$

$ whois -h whois.joker.com sf-lug.org
Domain Name: sf-lug.org
Registry Domain ID: D104593649-LROR
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.joker.com
Registrar URL: https://joker.com
Updated Date: 2018-05-04T05:30:34Z
Creation Date: 2004-07-02T21:17:47Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2019-07-02T21:17:47Z
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: abuse at joker.com
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +49.21186767447
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited
https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Registrant Organization: San Francisco Linux User Group
Registrant State/Province: CA
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Email: https://csl-registrar.com/contact/sf-lug.org/owner
Admin Email: https://csl-registrar.com/contact/sf-lug.org/admin
Tech Email: https://csl-registrar.com/contact/sf-lug.org/tech
Name Server: ns.primate.net
Name Server: ns1.svlug.org
Name Server: ns1.sf-lug.org
Name Server: ns1.linuxmafia.com
DNSSEC: signedDelegation
URL of the ICANN Whois Inaccuracy Complaint Form:
https://www.icann.org/wicf/
>>> Last update of WHOIS database: 2019-04-06T08:27:21Z <<<
$

Who's Registrant, and how does one get in contact with him/her?
Who's Tech Contact, and how does one get in contact with him/her?
Who's Admin Contact, and how does one get in contact with him/her?

Same answer to all three questions:  It's a secret.  Nobody's permitted
to know.

Given that Joker.com aka CSL Computer Service Langenbach GmbH is in
Düsseldorf, Germany, this may very well be a GDPR-driven blunder imposed
on the domain owner.  Irrespective of that, IMO it's important for
whoever administers these domains to un-hide the WHOIS contacts, so that
the WHOIS record becomes once again usable for its intended purpose.
ASAP.

Separately from that, maybe SF-LUG wants to drop the hyphen and grab the
you-know-what domain currently available.

Or follow the path of least resistance, do nothing about broken WHOIS,
and be prepared to hear 'I told you so' when badness happens because the
domain's principals cannot be identified and contacted.