[sf-lug] updates Re: SF-LUG Sunday March 3, 2019 meeting notice

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Mar 2 08:36:58 PST 2019

Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):

> I think if you dig a bit you might find that 10 years of support is
> limited to business customers.   I know I thought that sounded good
> and someone (not you?) pointed out that it was limited to presumably
> paying customers,

You're probably right.

Oddly enough, I did try to find something more specific and definitive
than a Shuttleworth keynote remark, and in particular tried to find
something on Ubuntu's own Web site stating a support policy for 18.04
LTS longer than 5 years for _anyone_ -- and found nothing.  Until just now.

The one bit that suggests the extra five years will be available to
paying customers only is on https://www.ubuntu.com/esm .

Wow, they sure could be a lot clearer.  ;->

Honestly, though, I really scratch my head at the notion of wanting to
run antique software versions with only bugfix patches for ten years.
It seems a really bizarre thing to consider desirable, at all -- at
least to me.