[sf-lug] updates Re: SF-LUG Sunday March 3, 2019 meeting notice

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Mar 1 21:52:23 PST 2019

Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):

> >Bobbie, do you just basically download all new stuff as releases are
> >covered by Distrowatch?  Just curious.
>
> No I do not download all new stuff from Distrowatch.

The reason I asked is the small list you just named is all of the recent
announces on Distrowatch, and nothing else.  No problem with that; I was
just curious.

> I don't know why anyone would want 16.04.6 but it has a couple of
> years of support as of this release according to Distrowatch.

According to _Ubuntu_ (the project's Web site), it has support for two
more years _only_ for Ubuntu Desktop and a couple of specialty related
flavours, and, as I said, only one month of support for everything else
(e.g., Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu).  Don't take my word for it, though.
See for yourself:  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/XenialXerus/ReleaseNotes

As I already said, it's not just the short (and in most cases
vanishingly short) remaining support life that makes me wonder why
anyone would install this in 2019.  Even more important, I note that
it's also not the current LTS release.

Lots of problems with 10.04.x?  Hmm, interesting.  Maybe they should,
y'know, consult a Linux user group.  ;->

--
Cheers,            You must rise or sink / You must conquer or win,
Rick Moen          Or serve and lose. / Suffer or triumph, / Be anvil or hammer.
rick at linuxmafia.com
McQ! (4x80)        -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Gesellige Lieder, Ein Anderes