[sf-lug] updates Re: SF-LUG Sunday March 3, 2019 meeting notice

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Fri Mar 1 19:52:18 PST 2019

On 3/1/19 6:39 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):
>
>>      Ubuntu and all the variants have a LTS version of 16.04.6 now
>> out at Distrowatch.
>>      Let me know if you want any of these distributions.
> As a reminder, *buntu 16.04 LTS 'Xenial Xerus' was the April 2016
> long-term support release (as indicated in the release number), with
> support until April 2021 for Ubuntu Desktop, Server, Core, and Kylin,
> and until April 2019 for all other flavours (Lubuntu, Xubuntu,
> Lubuntu...).  I.e., support expires next month for those.
>
> Meanwhile the _current_ long-term support release, 18.04 LTS 'Bionic
> Beaver', has support for _5 years until April 2023_ for the same main
> flavours, and for 3 years until April 2021 for the other flavours.
>
> I'm sure some folks have a reason for installing the last-but-one LTS
> release with very limited future support, but I'm not sure what that
> reason is.
>

> Bobbie, do you just basically download all new stuff as releases are
> covered by Distrowatch?  Just curious.

     No I do not download all new stuff from Distrowatch.  I don't know
why anyone would want
16.04.6 but it has a couple of years of support as of this release
according to Distrowatch.
Now I know some people are still running 16.0.4.x and some people have
lots of problems
with 18.04.x  so there may be a desire if not need for this latest
release of "Xenial Xerus".

     Now I am quite willing to satisfy the needs and desires of members
if it is within my
limited capability so I asked if anyone wanted any of these.

     Now as to what I do download from Distrowatch or other sources,
distributionx such
as PCLlinuxOS, Mageia, late versions of Ubuntu and its cohorts, security
centered
distributions such as Parrot and Kali, what may sound interesting like
Easy OS,
Cubes,  major Distribution such as Debian and forks of Debian like Devuan,
tools like Live Gparted, Rescatux, SystemRescue CD, etc. ad lib.

     Have a nice night.

     Bobbie Sellers