[sf-lug] Safer Browsing

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Mar 1 17:36:55 PST 2019

One more thing:

Quoting Tom Turner (seameadowlake at gmail.com):

> Michael, thanks for the page of Firefox safety links.
>
> One of the "safety links" is https://monitor.firefox.com/
>
> When I entered one of my email addresses at the above page, the report
> indicated my email address and data were exposed in two events:
> (1) Apollo and (2) Linux Forums.

If I understand this setup correctly -- and my understanding appears to
be fully confirmed by an answer on FAQ page
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-monitor-faq -- what Mozilla
Monitor does, stated succinctly, is forward a query about your e-mail
address to HaveIBeenPwned, and then tell you what HaveIBeenPwned says
about your e-mail address.  So, I have a (rhetorical) question:  What
does using Mozilla Monitor as an intermediary for querying the
HaveIBeenPwned security-breach database get you?

Far as I can tell, nada.

--
Cheers,            You must rise or sink / You must conquer or win,
Rick Moen          Or serve and lose. / Suffer or triumph, / Be anvil or hammer.
rick at linuxmafia.com
McQ! (4x80)        -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Gesellige Lieder, Ein Anderes