[sf-lug] Safer Browsing

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Mar 1 17:17:06 PST 2019

Quoting Tom Turner (seameadowlake at gmail.com):

> One of the "safety links" is https://monitor.firefox.com/
>
> When I entered one of my email addresses at the above page, the report
> indicated my email address and data were exposed in two events:
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Which means what specifically?  Anyone?  Anyone?  Bueller?

> (1) Apollo and (2) Linux Forums.
[...]

> Your information was part of a data breach.
>
> Accounts associated with your email address appeared in the following 2
> breaches.
> Apollo Breach date:July 23, 2018 Compromised accounts:125,929,660 Compromised
> data:Email addresses, Employers, Geographic locations, Job titles, Names,
> Phone numbers, Salutations, Social media profiles
> Linux Forums Breach date:May 1, 2018 Compromised accounts:275,785 Compromised
> data:Email addresses, IP addresses, Passwords, Usernames
> Breach data provided by Have I Been Pwned <https://www.haveibeenpwned.com>

Did you bother to find out what 'compromised data' of yours is in this
dataset, and whether said datum is of concern at all?

I'm guessing 'no', since you didn't say anything about that.  In which
case, you really haven't learned anything of substance, for lack of
looking into specifics.

> What to do when your information is exposed in a data breach.
> Change your passwords, even for old accounts.
[...]

Mabel, the cat's on fire!