[sf-lug] sudo abuse, suspend/shutdown, and polkit

aaronco36 aaronco36 at SDF.ORG
Tue Feb 19 20:44:11 PST 2019

Quoting Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> from [1]

> My frequent characterisation is that systemd, PolKit, upower, udisks2
> (in particular) are a dependency hairball of Freedesktop.org codebases.
> They're written to require each other (a large part of why I want to
> avoid them).

Another problem related to this for optimizing SSDs, IMHO, is that
according to both the Arch Wiki on Solid State Drives [2] and the Debian
Wiki on SSD Optimization [3], the fstrim.service and fstrim.timer systemd
unit files in the util-linux package _both_ intimately depend upon using
systemd as su :-\

While Rick M, Michael P, and others are of course welcome to step right in
and correct or verify it, it seems that it's fairly tough to wean oneself
of these systemd-dependent utilities; at least difficult for optimizing
SSDs.

Quoting Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> from [1]

> You might want to find out how the Devuan Project does suspend-to-RAM /
> suspend-to-disk.  They'd know.

OTOH and speaking of the Devuan Project, one of the posts on their
derivates '[Miyo] How to set daily trim job? [SOLVED]'[4] seems to suggest
that fstrim is best handled thru fstrim as a _Periodic_ TRIM through cron
or anacron rather than via that systemd fstrim.timer option.

If the spirit should move any of you, Rick M, Michael P, and you
experienced others are of course invited and welcome to add whatever BALUG
notes you/they have from Tue's meeting on fstrim/discard [5], to add
further thoughts, and/or to add helpful advice on best optimizing SSDs.
Thanks in advance :-)

-A