[sf-lug] printer consumables & printing costs (inkjet, laser, ...)

jl johnlau0 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 16:05:56 PST 2019

On 1/25/19 2:34 AM, Rick Moen wrote:
>> Hewlett-Packard (hp) LaserJet Pro 200 color MFP M276nw
>> Product No. CF145A
> I'm actually not finding an entry in the OpenPrinting database for this
> puppy, just for HP LaserJet Pro MFP m126nw (which of course might be a
> close cousin).  I'm guessing that when you say 'Works fine with CUPS',
> you mean you were able to download from HP's Web site an HPLIP filter
> with required proprietary plug-in for it (that then worked in the CUPS
> framework).
>
> Everyone talking about this model for Linux deployments seems to have
> said you need to download the HPLIP stuff, anyway.

In the past I've checked availability of foss drivers by browsing `sudo
system-config-printers` (e.g. by opening an existing printer and change
the Make and model).

For example, in debian-10 there is a "Color Laserjet Pro MFP M277" there
that doesn't require a proprietary plugin, which sounds similar enough
to work for the printer above.

(If it doesn't show up, `apt-get install foomatic-db` adds several foss
drivers to the list.)

Unfortunately it doesn't say anything about whether scanning requires a
proprietary plugin, seems like that is always the case for HP Laserjet
All-in-ones.