[sf-lug] thanks for the help : need help with ...

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Wed Jan 9 23:05:42 PST 2019

> From: "Rick Moen" <rick at linuxmafia.com>
> Subject: Re: [sf-lug] thanks for the help : need help with wifi access
> Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2019 13:26:32 -0800

> Quoting Jim Stockford (jim at well.com):
>
>> I should have written

> OK, are you basically now saying that what 'died' was your _WAP_ (your
> wireless access point)?   In other words, an external, separately
> powered piece of electronics that's not a component of your laptop in
> any way?  If so, your initial problem description was not only confusing
> but also deeply misleading.

It is highly important, if not crucial, and especially so in technical
forums, to state things accurately.  Sure, speculation/guesses fine ...
*if* they're stated as such.  If they're stated as or implied to be
facts, and they're not, all kinds of chaos and problems ensue.

E.g. from earlier:
> From: "James Stockford" <jim at well.com>
> Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2019 11:10:00 -0800

> My Ubuntu 18.04 laptop was successfully
> using wifi until my wifi gizmo died, maybe
> with a last electronic shriek. I've got

I may simply and accurately responded to that with:
Laptop, Wi-Fi - laptop Wi-Fi devices are generally not at all
user serviceable, beyond replacing the failed device.
So, follow the relevant procedures to replace the failed device, with
appropriate replacement hardware, and let us know if you still have
issues after that.

Hmmmm, maybe we try example by analogy (sure, analogies often suck, but
...) think of some other professional area where technical accuracy is
important.

P[arent]: My kid died.
D[octor (pediatrician)]: Oh my, so sorry, sending you our grief support
                          reference materials now, ...
                          gotta go attend to some sick live kids now,
                          sorry, later, bye.

Let's try again:
P: I think my kid might be dead.
D: Oh, what makes you suspect that?
P: I suspect there might've been a shriek.
D: Is there a pulse, breathing, did you check?
P: Oh, kid responds to name upon enumerating the names.
D: Kid isn't dead.
P: Oh, I meant the other kid.
D: Which other kid?
P: The one I took to some kid shop on Geary, and they told me the
    kid was dead and sold me a "new" - to me - but used one.  I like that
    one, I think it works.
D: Uhm, ... so *what* seems to be the problem?
P: Kid responds, but won't do what I want.
D: Which kid are we talking about now?
P: Oh, not the one that died or that I replaced that one with, but the
    other one.
D: Uhm, ... and what exactly are you asking the kid to do, and how is
    the kid responding?
P: Oh, and the kid is 9 months old.
(... and upon further inquiry it is determined the kid is is less than
6 months old).

Bit better, but still quite sad.  Let's try again: