[sf-lug] thanks for the help : need help with wifi access

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Jan 9 15:31:16 PST 2019

Quoting Jim Stockford (jim at well.com):

>     It seems to me that such devices are more
> than access points in that they incorporate
> a four port switch, an ethernet connector for
> internet-modem, and a lot of software.

To be sure -- but that is also true of essentially _any_ box referred to
as a WAP, so I didn't bother to append any verbiage about that.  It
would normally be understood to apply to something called a 'WAP' by
default.

I mean, think about WAPs you've seen.  About the only exception would be
the 'a lot of software', which ordinarily would be superfluous for a
WAP.  Normally, one administers the WAP via a build-in admin WebUI, and
connecting to them normally requires nothing but commodity TCP/IP
software.  So, dunno what this 'lot of software'  would be, but I would
expect it to be non-essential.