[sf-lug] Linux distros

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Jan 9 11:59:16 PST 2019

Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):

> Nothing special but it is basically a set of instructions for creating
> Linux on a computer from a zero starting point.   That means that you
> might learn a lot about GNU/Linux by using those instructions.

I know that, of course.  But I was asking Justin Noor why _he_ considers
Linux from Scratch a suitable foundation for a custom Linux
distribution.  It seems a very curious statement, but I'm suspending
judgement pending hearing what he has in mind.

> Funtoo Linux is basically the same sort of arrangement
> but aimed at using Gentoo sources.

Well, sort of but not really.  Unlike Linux from Scratch, Gentoo doesn't
need to be built up from nothing following the instructions in an
associated book, and is designed to be maintainable.