[sf-lug] Wi-Fi woes

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Tue Jan 8 21:57:28 PST 2019

On 1/8/19 9:19 PM, Michael Paoli wrote:
>> From: "James Stockford" <jim at well.com>
>> Subject: Re: [sf-lug] thanks for the help
>> Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2019 19:04:25 -0800
> snip
>
> And peeking a bit, even if you are, in fact, running Ubuntu 18.04,
     He has done his updates. I determined that at the meeting.
     Lots of snips.
> rather than 18.04.1, not too horrible, it's at least still supported
> thus far:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases
> But if you want to stay with the LTS track,
> you'd probably want to upgrade to 18.04.1 (security, bug fixes)
>
> What model of gizmo?
Stated in his lspci.

> And if the Wi-Fi hardware is in fact confirmed dead,
> what exactly are you trying establish Wi-Fi connectivity through? ...
> Specifically between the (presumed) Ubuntu 18.04 host and the
> Access Point (AP)?
>
> root at UltraLap-6440:~# lspci
         That last line- Intel Corporation Device 2526 (rev 29)is the
WiFi device from 'duckduckgo'-ing  aka the Gizmo which is most
likeliy not dead.

     As I wrote to Jim it worked fine with the copy of Ubunto Studio
I had at the meeting and which was loaned to him.

> Don't presume the bus or bus type of the Wi-Fi.  Sure, PCI or the like is
> common, but that's not the only place these things show up.
>
> Caveat: viruses may cause snarkiness and other malfunctions, mostly a
> non-
>         issue for Linux (at least reasonably cared for), the human(s),
>         however ...
>
> HAL: Well, I don't think there is any question about it. It can only be
>      attributable to human error. This sort of thing has cropped up
> before,
>      and it has always been due to human error.

         Bad connection between operator and interface, HAL, shutdown now!

             bliss - good night