[sf-lug] (forw) Re: debian base system (initially without X11)...etc

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Dec 15 20:01:16 PST 2018

Probably inteded to be addressed to the mailing list.

----- Forwarded message from Bobbie Sellers <bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com> -----

Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2018 19:22:10 -0800
From: Bobbie Sellers <bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com>
To: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
Subject: Re: [sf-lug] debian base system (initially without X11)...etc

On 12/15/18 7:07 PM, Rick Moen wrote:

> I'm actually always astonished that there was ever a market for books
> about Linux distributions.  I think people mostly bought them for the
> same reason they bought 1200 page books about Lotus 1-2-3: insecurity.
> In particular, back in the day, Que and other publishers made enormous
> profits out of providing (in effect) substitute documentation to users
> who had bootlegged popular application packages, and felt insecure about
> that.  Maybe they still do.

    I bought my first book about Linux "Knoppix for Dummies" to
learn about how to use Knoppix and got my first
Linux distribution with it Knoppix 3.1.
    Nearly everything I have done since then has been based on what
I tried to learn from that book.

    Bobbie

----- End forwarded message -----