[sf-lug] debian base system (initially without X11) install progress (or lack there of!) report

Alex Kleider akleider at sonic.net
Tue Dec 11 22:23:56 PST 2018

On 2018-12-10 14:20, Rick Moen wrote:

> 2.  Based on (admittedly misleading) wording in the installer screens,
> he guesstimated that he'd need to pull apart the .deb packages using
> 'dpkg-deb --extract'.  Bad.  It is neither necessary nor desirable in
> this contents to part out the guts of the .deb files, and then beaver
> away figuring out where to put them (his next step).  This action was
> unclear on what the packages were _for_:  The packages were
> deliberately
> packed with metadata instructions about where all the contents were to
> be delivered to -- what directories and what filenames -- by standard
> package tools.  Like simply doing 'dpkg -i' [debname]' in the directory
> where the debs were.

I haven't given up!
Going through the process again I discovered that during the install the
'dpkg' command is unrecognized!
To be clear, what I did was the following:
When the installer asked for the wifi drivers, I used Alt f2 to get to
another console from which the following commands were issued:
  mount -t ext4 /dev/sdb1 /mnt
cd /mnt
dpkg -i firmware-.....
and the system informed me that dpkg was not available!

Is this something worth bringing up in a Debian forum/list?

Alex