[sf-lug] debian base system (initially without X11) install progress (or lack there of!) report

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Dec 10 17:18:28 PST 2018

Quoting Alex Kleider (akleider at sonic.net):

> /sbin/ifconfig -a   >> "No such file or directory"
> Didn't we already establish that ifconfig has been deprecated in
> favor of ip?

Well, then the iproute2 _equivalent_ of '/sbin/ifconfig -a', obviously.

You can look at man pages as easily as I can, Alex.  Is it really
necessary for me to look it up for you.  The '-a' for the ifconfig
command signifies:

       -a     display  all  interfaces  which are currently available, even if
              down

It seems as if 'ip a' probably does likewise, i.e., reports on all
network interfaces, even if down.  (Web page
https://www.tecmint.com/ifconfig-vs-ip-command-comparing-network-configuration/
asserts that the answer to that question is yes.)  As mentioned, I am
not entirely familiar with 'ip' or other tools from the iproute2 suite.

> /var/log/messages reveals that "Direct firmware load for
> iwlwifi-5000-x.ucode failed with error -2" where x is 1...5 even
> thought 2 and 5 are believed to have been properly installed.

Well, very likely whatever you did did _not_ correctly install them.
That would be an excellent reason to rely on the .deb file's metadata
instructions in exactly that area.