[sf-lug] Fwd:Re:Job: DevOps/Sysadmin/Linux contractor (Verizon Wireless client) in Walnut Creek... etc.

aaronco36 aaronco36 at SDF.ORG
Thu Nov 8 22:06:40 PST 2018

Todd Hawley <celticdm at gmail.com> wrote at [1]

>> On Thu, Nov 8, 2018 at 7:06 AM Justin Noor <justinnoor.io at
>> gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Those are some pretty high expectations for a temp worker. No
>> pun intended.

> Probably why it's through a recruiter. :p
>
> -th

OTOH, perhaps this job ad _really was_ submitted by someone in
Verizon[Wireless]'s HR Dept rather than through a recruiter (and BTW, is
Verizon's "suckiness" as per ref [2] possibly still appicable 10 years
later?)
IMHO, 3rd party recruiting firms tend to do a much better task of writing
job descriptions that will net the greatest number of qualified temp job
applicants for themselves than do the primary companies' HR departments
they represent.

IIRC, there was actually such a job posting from a primary discussed on
one of the Bay Area Linux mailing-lists within the last dozen or so years,
which described the desired candidate as having something like 15 or more
years of hands-on experience with one or more Linux distributions and one
or more shells in addition to bash. Which is ironic because in 2005, going
back "15 or more years of hands-on experience" would have required
candidates to have that hands-on experience just before or soon after
Linus Torvalds started developing the initial Linux kernels in the first
place!!
Couldn't yet find that particular Worst Linux job ad on the Bay Area LUG
lists, so if someone knows of that particular ad I'm referring to just
above, please feel free to speak up :-)
Rick M?

I recall one particular job ad of "high expectations for a temp worker" in
the Aughts (Y2K-2010) with _at least_ something like the following
mandatory job reqs:

1. Seeking a contract Hardware Installation+Upgrading / Systems+Network
Administration / On-Site Field Technician for three months.
2. Must have over ten years of direct hands-on experience working with all
the following technologies: C/Perl/shell programming and debugging for
automated jobs; webpage creation and editing using HTML 4.0; Lotus Notes
server maintenance; Windows 2000 and 2003 servers with IIS; Cisco routers
with Cisco IOS; MacOS 9 and Mac OS X with AppleTalk; multiplatform Oracle
DBMS systems maintenance with SQL; Red Hat and GmbH Suse Linux; all
applicable LAN and WAN technologies; TCP/IP, NetBIOS, SONET, Frame-relay,
ISDN, local DSL, local 56k dial-up, ... etcetera.
3. Must be fully MCSE/CCNA/RHCE certified, have at least a B.A. degree
from an American college, have superb English communication skills, and be
able to submit written reports and training guide documentation to central
supervisory and/or to field office staff on at least a weekly basis if not
more frequently.
4. Must be able to easily lift 35 pounds and carry their own health
insurance.
5. Must have driver's license, own their own fully-registered car kept in
excellent operable condition, have car insurance, and be available to
drive and visit suburban and rural field offices within a 75-mile radius
of main technical centers on nights and/or on weekends as needed.
Promptness and keeping exactly to full assigned schedules are absolute
musts.
6. Probationary period is for exactly four 35-hour weeks at minimum wage
regardless of any overtime hours spent on an as-needed basis or on
transportation times to/from distant field offices. Following the
probationary period, the remaining duration of this position is for an
extra nine weeks as a standard fulltime contractor with paid overtime but
with no expressed or implied possibility of a transition from temporary to
permanent employment.

Here are a few other worst technical job description that I found through
a cursory online search for the same (keywords "worst technical job
description")
- Level 2 Service Desk Engineer - Phoenix, AZ [3]
- An Amazingly Bad IT Job Listing that Borders on Abusive [4]
- Slideshow: Truth in IT job postings: What those want ads really mean [5]

Please feel free to submit your own one(s).

-A