[sf-lug] Linux, it's *just* a kernel: Re: (forw) Re: The LUG list is back and just in time... Open Indiana ... Illumos

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Thu Oct 25 21:57:41 PDT 2018

Linux - "it's *just* a kernel!"

Debian,
there's darn good reason it's:
Debian GNU/Linux
notably as not to be confused with, e.g.:
Debian GNU/kFreeBSD
Debian GNU/Hurd
https://wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU
https://www.debian.org/ports/

Debian is one of the (relatively few?) distributions that rather
accurately describes itself, notably including key major components,
e.g. see:
https://www.wiki.balug.org/wiki/doku.php?id=balug:cds_and_images_etc
For the "full descriptor" field, for the Debian ISOs, I've generally
taken those straight from the /.disk/info file on those ISOs
(Ubuntu has similar).  Ubuntu, for (mostly?) marketing/branding
purposes, shys away from much mention of Linux or GNU, or Debian, all
of which it's highly dependent upon.  Last I saw of their official
DVDs and jackets, absolutely no mention of Linux, GNU, or Debian anywhere
on there.

Debian calls itself out pretty clearly:
$ lsb_release -d
$ uname -m