[sf-lug] (forw) Re: The LUG list is back and just in time...

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Oct 25 19:09:33 PDT 2018

Quoting Bobbie Sellers:

> Thanks to everyone who replied on the list and off the list.
> I am not running Open Indiana anywhere but was unsure
> with that Illumos kernel reference.  I did not want to bring
> a Unix to a Linux meeting.  We have enough fun with the
> GNU/Linux/and all the other FOSS developers.

Well, if you wish, of course.  But that sounds just a little weirdly
arbitrary, to me.

But the illumos kernel and surrounding illumos software architecture
are just another form of *ix, same as the BSDs and Linux.  Nothing
wrong with it at all.

There's even a distro based on illumos kernel called Dyson
( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson_(operating_system) )
that's basically the standard Debian userspace running on an illumos
kernel.  If I sat you down in front of it, you would have a difficult
time even knowing that wasn't Debian on the Linux kernel.

Personally, I'm not madly in love with the Linux kernel, and certainly
would move to something like Dyson like a _shot_ if there were ever
a compelling reason to cease using the Linux kernel.