[sf-lug] SF-LUG Mailing list - late AM Tue 10/23/18

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Oct 25 16:10:37 PDT 2018

Quoting aaronco36 (aaronco36 at SDF.ORG):

> Probably doesn't help all that much, but a simple 'traceroute
> www.linuxmafia.com' reaches whatever firewall or other security
> measures that may be at rawbw.net (198.144.192.34).
> No, am *not* myself going to run diagnostics using DIG and/or Netmap
> on this!

Fine work as far as you went, though, Aaron.  Thanks for doing that!

The conclusion of the story is that, about 3pm today, AT&T finally
figured out, according to one of their employees, who spoke to Mike
Durkin, owner/operator of my ISP (Raw Bandwidth Communications)
that they needed to switch to a different port on the DSLAM in the Menlo
Park central office that serves my local-loop telephone service.  This
immediately brought back online all DSL services (and thus all services
to/from my server).

We've gotten no details about what went wrong, why they didn't notice
without being hammered on by Mike, and why it took them well over
two days to address at all.  I don't expect any, either.  Nor any
apology for shooting me in the foot.

BTW, not any form of complaint, but FYI my Web site's canonical name is
actually http://linuxmafia.com/ .  (http://www.linuxmafia.com/ will
get you there, too, of course:  It auto-redirects you to
http://linuxmafia.com/ ;->  .)

--
Cheers,                                  My favorite website is probably
Rick Moen                                "session timed out due to inactivity"