[sf-lug] system req's

Grady Broyles slobeck at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 09:02:14 PDT 2018

Arch has this on their "Installation Guide" (which is pretty darned good
IMO)

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/installation_guide

"Arch Linux should run on any x86_64-compatible machine with a minimum of
512 MB RAM. A basic installation with all packages from the base group
should take less than 800 MB of disk space. As the installation process
needs to retrieve packages from a remote repository, this guide assumes a
working internet connection is available."

it's all I could find, really, since they dropped their 686 support last
year. (There's a fork linked to from that page.)

In Arch's case, though, what does "base requirements" even mean? For a
base-only, headless install? Certainly Arch's "base req's" look different
for Arch+i3 than they do with Arch+Gnome.

I, too, wish distros especially periodic release ones with GUI installers
were more specific though, especially now that the dropping of 32-bit
support seems all the rage.