[sf-lug] System requirements (was: A short and simple survey)

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Tue Oct 9 23:29:08 PDT 2018

Documentation and/or lack thereof (& findability) for system
requirements (minimum) and recommended.

IMHO Debian still does a pretty darn good job of this.  Varies among
distributions.

I'd guess Arch likely well covers it - as their
(notably wiki) documentation is generally good to excellent.

Ubuntu ... I've pretty much given up looking for it.  They still have
(last I checked) "recommended" - or something like that, but that's
it - at least last I recalled/looked, and even that may not have been
super-easy to find.

Debian :-)  They don't bury you in documentation, but quite easy enough
to find the relevant documentation.  How many "clicks" to get there?
https://www.debian.org/
under Documentation we have:
Release Info (nope, that's not what we're looking for)
Installation Manual
Then click the link for the architecture ...
That gets one to a table of contents, which includes:
System Requirements
Supported Hardware
so ... about 6 clicks max., and perhaps as few as about 4, and pretty
cleanly and logically laid out.

I also have some fair bit of that covered on:
https://www.wiki.balug.org/wiki/doku.php?id=balug:cds_and_images_etc
including in many cases direct link from architecture for a distribution
to the relevant data on requirements and such - at least where such is
generally available (sometimes the Debian anchor tags change and need
updating, but at least the pages remain quite consistent).
and:
https://www.wiki.balug.org/wiki/doku.php?id=balug:cds_and_images_etc#notes
Though those notes can probably use some more updating.