[sf-lug] System requirements (was: A short and simple survey)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Oct 9 19:38:52 PDT 2018

> Many distributions well document exactly what 32-bit they do/don't
> support (not only CPU minimums and recommended, but also other
> minimums/recommended for distribution).  However some distributions
> don't document this very well at all - e.g. just give a "recommended"
> and can't be bothered to spell out what a minimum usable/supportable
> configuration is.

This actually is one of the ways in which the Linux distribution world,
in general, has changed for the worse.  For about the first 15 years, it
was absolutely routine for _every_ distro to prominently disclose, for
each release, 'mimimum system requirements' (the feeblest and tiniest
target computer the release's installer could handle) and 'recommended
system requirements' -- citing most importantly the CPU, total RAM, and
disk space for a typical (or default) installation.

But then, without any apparent discussion, most distros started making
that information more and more obscure, or omitted altogether.  It's
disappointing, and has added one more hurdle to the task of helping
newcomers.

Debian Project still do a moderately decent job of disclosing this --
although even they hide it away in the Installation Guides
(https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual) for the ten
supported CPU ports.  Which means that newcomers aren't likely to find
it without very easily unless they already know where to look (i.e.,
aren't newcomers).

One of the consequence of this information void is that you then got
absurdities like LUG regulars insisting on installing woefully tiny
(now-defunct) DamnSmallLinux because they had really no idea how much
disk space and RAM a fully-functionality distro requires if you _avoid_
dumbass kitchen-sink installations.

I see that Debian 9 'Stretch' (current 'stable' release) will still
install and run without special tricks onto my 1999 128MB RAM Sony VAIO,
as long as I go with a window manager (as I prefer), eschew DE
bloatware, and choose to install only a sensible set of software.  Cool.
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch03s04.html.en