[sf-lug] A short and simple survey

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Oct 8 15:48:50 PDT 2018

Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):

> Question one: Are you using a 32 bit machine?

Several.

> Question two: How much RAM memory do you have in your computer?

2 GB in a 2005-era laptop,
512 MB in my 2000-era server,
128 MB in my oldest still-running laptop, a Sony VAIO PCG-505TX (Pentium
    300 MHz MMX CPU) that I bought used in 1999

> Question two: part 1. More than three Gigabytes of memory?

Not any of those.  But I have a couple of x86_64 laptops and a prototype
new x86_64 CompuLab server that have each 8GB.  There are also a couple of
x86_64 Zotac mini-computers, ditto.

Really, as to 32-bit:  Time to give it up.  Also:  Change over to
metric.  ;->

> Are you interested in changing the operating system on your computer
> whether you use 32 bit or 64 bit machines?

Yep.  All of them that aren't yet running Devuan will be, except for the
Sony, which is strictly a relic.