[sf-lug] Xsane can't see an HP Laserjet 1536dnf MFP scanner / printer

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Jul 31 16:37:51 PDT 2018

Afterthought:

> _Correct_ name is Epson Stylus NX515.  This is an inkjet-based all-in-one
> device.

AKA 'multifunction printer'.  Here's an interesting question:  _Why_
do all-in-one printer/scanner/copier/fax devices tend so very strongly
to suck?  It's kind of tragic.  When I first heard of the category, IIRC
as the early entries in the HP 'OfficeJet' product range, I was psyched,
because it was such an inherently appealing idea:

Any fax machine is basically already a scanner with a modem, and it
invaribly has the ability to print out received faxes, so why not throw
a few more dollars into a fax machine and make it also be a
computer-serving printer?  That way, you can have a versatile office
appliance that takes the place of four devices (printer, fax, scanner,
copier).  Saves space, saves money, makes sense.

I'm not sure how this happened, but it seems that -- as far as I'm aware
-- all the manufacturers introducing multifunction printers have judged
the customers as being unwilling to pay for reasonable quality, not
being able to distinguish good from bad designs,  and merely buying
based solely on price -- walking examples of Moen's Law of Bicycles.

So, you get multifunction printers limited to 128MB of RAM, ones with
extremely proprietary scanner/printing engines, and ones that cost an
arm and a leg in inkjet cartridges.

But hey, they sure have low price tags, eh?

I _think_ there's a natural market for one of these that doesn't suck.
Unfortunately, the manufacturers so far have not agreed, to my
knowledge.