[sf-lug] SF-LUG Meets Monday 18 June 2018

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Jun 11 14:40:02 PDT 2018

Hi LUGers,

   SF-LUG meets every third Monday from 6 P.M. to 8 P.M.
and  every first Sunday from 11 A.M. to 1 P.M.
at the Cafe Enchante, 26th and Geary Boulevard.

     These meetings are usually lightly attended with a high for the
year so far of 7 members.   If you have a problem come along
and maybe we can help but if not we can usually find someone
who can.

New Distributions: * indicates optical disk made.
        PCLinuxOS64 released a new set of iso files on June 6, 2018

             *PCLinuxOS64 KDE5 KDE64 (pclinuxos64-kde5-2018.06.iso)
             *PCLinuxOS64 MATE64 (pclinuxos64-MATE-2018.06.iso)
             *pclinuxos-kde5-darkstar-2018.06.iso(community release)
            The Darkstar iso is a minimal KDE Plasma 5 install. only a
bit smaller than the others.
             You can get these and some interesting Community releases
    by going to <http://www.pclinuxos.com/> and exploring a bit.
   or you could ask me online or at the meeting.

     Q4OS I have gotten several variants and have yet to try them
out. <https://q4os.org/>
*q4os-2.5-i386-instcd.r1.iso
  *q4os-2.5-i686pae.r1.iso
  *q4os-2.5-x64.r1.iso  - ran it this morning and was pleasantly surprised
by the clean implementation of the Trinity Desktop Environment.

    4MLinux 25 is out in 32 bit version which is much larger than
previous versions and
a 64 bit server.  You can read more about it at:
<https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/4mlinux-115/the-4mlinux-25-series-4175625361/>

     GeckoLinux have tried to download but so far have not gotten
a version to pass the checksum test.

     Mint Linix has beta version of version 19 out.

     Devuan 2 is out but I am finding the release quite confusing, by
which I mean I am not sure what I need to download to get a bootable
disk.  I think it resembles Debian from which it takes a lot of code.
 > The "Veteran UNIX Admins" have announced the release of
 > Devuan <https://distrowatch.com/devuan> GNU+Linux 2.0.0, a new stable
build from the project that
 > forked Debian in late 2014 to build a systemd-free variant of the
 > popular community distribution.
Distrowatch put the live version on their torrent and I should have this
at the meeting.

*Devuan GNU+Linux 2.0.0 "Live" aka
devuan_ascii_2.0.0_amd64_desktop-live.iso

You can more read about it on Distrowatch <https://www.distrowatch.com>
         ==================================

     On Friday June 8 I was able to get the latest Linux Pro!
Linux Pro Magazine June 2018 issue 211

Distros both 64 bit, Linux Mint Mate 18.03 and archLinux.

A couple of Projects described:

  PirateBox (using Raspberry Pi) which is an anonymous file
server for parties and meetings.

Node Red controlling a Raspberry Pi via text messages

A couple of Open sources personal assistance
Mycroft which has its own home appliance
and barely discussed Open Assistant.

Scanners and Linux which seems to survey the
current state which is much better than earlier.

Peppermint OS a peppy distro built for the cloud

Meltdown and Spectre and the problems developers
face in dealing with these built in problems.

Knight's Tour via Python script.

LinuxVoice:
maddog: a brief history of *x
Resetter: Reset your broken system
Audacity: Creating a Podcast
Gravit Designer: Is this alternative vector graphic tool ready?

FOSSPicks:
Krita 4.0
FreeTube
OpenSnitch
Yoda

Tutorial - create a desktop app with QML.

             So  that is what I have been paying attention to in the last
couple of weeks and I hope it interests  enough for some of
us to show up at the meeting a week from today at the Cafe
Enchante from 6-8 pm.

     Bobbie Sellers