[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting notes for Sunday June 3, 2018

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Jun 4 11:03:42 PDT 2018

Hi LUGers,
     The meeting was small but very busy at least from my POV.

     Michael had arrived before me, and I first saw him as I went up
to the counter to cadge a band-aid from the Cafe.  I had merely pinched
my littlest right finger in my extensible handle on my computer bag but
it bled quite a bit.

     So Michael has a problem in that he needs to copy text from a
.pdf file.  Looks like he will have to make a copy of the file then
load it into a .pdf editor and attempt to copy the pages he needs
to a text editor.

     Bill, if I do not have name wrong was in with a salvaged but
apparently
non-functional Dell Inspiron  which had been badly mistreated.  He had
picked it up out of box left on the street.  Despite help from many other
attendees he was unable to get it running.

     Ken was in next with his wife and was kept busy looking at
various problems and doing his best to help.  Many thanks Ken.

     Tom was in to get help and did mostly from Ken.He remained to
make use of the WiFi and seemed to be happier as we left than when
  he arrived.

     John S. showed up but only i only had one new bootable system
for him to try out.  He left about 12:30 PM

     Jim S. came in last but his presence enlived the discussion.

     Now for me I had attempted to install OpenSuse 15 on my Dell and
actually did so but somehow I messed up the passwords and could not
get to the Desktop.  Very irritating and if anyone had been paying
attention to this I would have been embarrassed..

     I booted up and into the Windriver Pulsar Linux desktop designed
for the Intel Compute Stick.  I was gifted with this small but powerful
machine by Ken S. some time back.  He supplied it with Ubuntu 14:04
installed but sadly on my TV the left side task bar is highly difficult
to read.It is squashed up to about 40% of it normal width with the other
60% invisible and no way to access any of the tools that might make a
change.  I tried changing aspect ratios on the TV and it only got worse
then I changed the output resolution which was sort of interesting but
still did not give me a usable GUI.  So I started looking of other Linux
distributions that might be used and Pulsar was my choice.  I managed
to boot it up to an interface on the Dell at the meeting where it found
not only all the partitions in the Flash Drive but all the partitions
on the Dell.   I doubt I will be much happier with this but at least
the icons ended up visible and the task bar visible.  So if I am
successful I will get some screen shots and bring them to the next
meeting. <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Compute_Stick>
I am sure mine is the original specifications.

     Now I do not know how the time was used up but rebooting and
trying to get into openSuse took a good deal of time.  By the
way a full review of this distribution is in the current
Distrowatch newsletter which can be found at:
  <https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20180604#opensuse>

     So a bit before 1 PM I started packing up my bag and Jim
kindly gave me a ride home.  Nearly everyone but Tom was
gone as we cleared the entrance.

     The next meeting at the Cafe Enchante of course will on
Monday, 18 June 2018 from 6pm to 8pm.
     Next Monday the 11th I should have a
note up the mailing list to advise this with possible
a demo of Q40S 2.5 running on the Dell.
     Q4OS is a Windows friendly Linux.  It seems like it might
  be of interest to people trying to transition from Windows.
  <https://q4os.org/>  The extent of its friendliness
to Windows can be read about at:
<https://q4os.org/blog.html#news180603>
Happily I do not have a working Windows Instillation to
test all its features.

     Don't forget to celebrate Flag Day on June 14th or
to celebrate JuneTeenth with the Afro-American community
on the preceding weekend.

     Anyone attending the meeting is free to correct my omissions or
incomprehension of the activities and asked to do so asap so that the
membership not in attendance will not be mis-informed any longer
than necessary.

     Thanks for any attention you give these notes.

     Bobbie Sellers